Silt fence is a temporary, cost-effective sediment control barrier used primarily on construction sites to prevent soil erosion and protect water quality. Made from UV stabilised polypropylene geotextile, it is used above ground to retain sediment and avoid silt pollution into rivers, lakes, open and closed drains and sensitive environments.
Silt fences are often a requirement to be used around construction and earthwork sites to prevent the silt or sediment running off the construction zone in an uncontrolled manner, polluting waterways. It can also effectively prevent sediment movement from:
- Soil stockpiles
- Swale drains
- Riparian batters
- Steep batters
WHY CHOOSE SILT FENCES?
- Controls erosion by retaining soil that may be unsettled or disturbed
- Controls sediment to ensure that it does not run out into waterways and stormwater systems
- Preserves water quality by preventing contamination of soil from nearby bodies which can be caused by stormwater runoff
- Ensures regulatory compliance with local council and EPA guidelines
- Offers a temporary, reusable and cost-effective solution to protects roads, surrounding properties, and water resources from dirt, runoff and construction debris