Tensar Technology is widely used in subgrade stabilisation, roof & rib support, soil reinforcement and asphalt reinforcement applications often delivering major environmental benefits and real savings in cost and time.
Tensar International Limited is the leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance products and engineered solutions for earthwork challenges in the mining industry. We satisfy customer needs and exceed expectations by providing a wide range of geosynthetic solutions for problems common to mining operations.
By providing innovative application technologies and specialised technical services, we use our products to deliver value-enhancing alternatives to traditional materials and practices in earthwork construction. We are committed to serving our clients’ global interests by providing innovative, engineered solutions using sophisticated earth stabilisation and reinforcement techniques.
Underground Mining Applications
A leader in innovative and cost-effective alternatives to traditional construction methods, Tensar International offers a number of solutions to support the unique requirements of mining and tunnelling construction. Tensar Mining Systems include a family of polymeric grid products designed to enhance value, maximise return, and reduce overall project costs. Strong yet lightweight, Tensar Mining Grids are ideal for pillar wrapping and, roof and rib control installations. Tensar Roof Mats help secure mine and tunnel roofs and ribs for safer and more efficient mining operations. Its composition and weight significantly reduce back, hand and facial injuries while handling, and it cuts installation time by 75% over chain link or welded wire mesh. All Tensar mining grid products are corrosion resistant and manufactured for easy installation.
Haul Road Construction and Working Platforms
There are now unprecedented demands to design economical roads and working platforms which reduce maintenance costs and improve haul truck efficiency. Tensar geogrids deliver a high-performance solution to meet these growing demands by reducing up-front costs and future maintenance. The structural contribution made by Tensar geogrid is to stabilise the unbound layers of roads and platforms by creating a Mechanically Stabilised Layer (MSL). A MSL is created when aggregate particles interlock with the geogrid and are confined within the apertures. Once granular particles are compacted over these geogrids, they partially penetrate and project through the apertures and are mechanically confined by the geogrid to create a stiff composite layer with improved load distribution and resistance to rutting. A MSL incorporating Tensar geogrid combines major cost savings with considerable performance benefits in granular capping, sub-base, and other aggregate layers. When compared with a non-stabilised aggregate layer, a MSL incorporating Tensar geogrid can:
- Maintain surface quality to increase operating speeds
- Reduce the frequency of costly and disruptive surface maintenance
- Reduce aggregate requirements by up to 50%
- Reduce labour and equipment needs
- Increase design life • increase bearing capacity
- Eliminate the need for costly over-excavation and disposal of poor-quality soil during construction
- Avoid issues associated with chemical stabilisation including weather and climatic restrictions, curing, uniformity, chemical solubility and environmental and personnel safety
As well as the ability to carry heavy loads and repeated traffic, TensarTech Earth Retaining Systems also enable the use of locally won materials, such as colliery spoil. Our retaining wall systems incorporate a proven, positive, mechanical connection between the geogrid and the wall face for increased structural integrity and performance. When specifying a TensarTech system, you are assured that the system’s structural components are reliable and designed for the long-term. And with soil reinforcement that is 100% polymeric, TensarTech Earth Retaining Systems also enable structures to be built using a wide range of backfills, including recycled materials, translating into greater economy. Benefits of TensarTech Earth Retaining Systems include:
- Durable geogrids that are unaﬀected by aggressive soil conditions and resist chemical, biological, and environmental degradation
- The ability to use a variety of backfill soils, including those with chlorides, sulfates, and high and low pH levels
- Rapid and economical construction, without the need for specialised equipment or labour
- Reliable structures with little or no maintenance
- Resistance to impact loading and seismic activity
- Reduced need for expensive foundation treatments due to low bearing pressure
Over the long term, Tensar geogrids preserve the integrity of the trackbed structure by confining the ballast and sub-ballast layers. Poor track geometry and a loss of vertical and horizontal alignment are a major reason for line speed restrictions and track maintenance work. These can significantly affect schedules as well as being expensive and disruptive to correct. With Tensar geogrids, it is possible to reduce costly trackbed maintenance of or even save on trackbed construction cost. Tensar geogrids are used to stabilise the trackbed structure in two ways:
- Sub-ballast stabilisation – installed at the bottom of the sub-ballast, Tensar geogrids help distribute imposed loads more efficiently over the underlying subgrade, leading to a reduction in the required sub-ballast layer thickness.
- Ballast stabilisation – installed between the ballast and sub-ballast layers, Tensar geogrids limit lateral movement of the ballast, and thereby minimise track settlement. This helps increase the period between maintenance cycles.
Heap leaching is used at many mining sites to extract precious metals and copper compounds from ore. Extracting valuable metals this way puts very high loads on collector pipes. Introducing Tensar geogrids can confine particles between the pipes, increasing bearing capacity of the ore to better support the heavy equipment. The process begins when mountains of mineral ore are loaded on to a leach pad that is lined with an impermeable clay or geomembrane liner. The ore is then sprayed with a leach solution, so the valuable metals are dissolved. This solution then percolates all the way through the heap and into collector pipes. Since significant amounts of ore are required to produce the precious metals, collector pipes experience very heavy loads. Tensar geogrids can be used to effectively confine the particles above and between the pipes. Geogrid supports the heavy equipment used in the process as well as providing a greater bearing capacity for the leach pad.
Environmental Benefits and Reductions in CO2 Emissions
By using a Tensar Mechanically Stabilised Layer in a road or a working area, construction savings can be made in the amount of aggregate required by up to 50%. This means that the project can run more quickly, as less excavated material needs to be taken away from site, less compaction is required and less aggregate needs to be imported on to the site. By reducing vehicle movements and the volume of material to be removed from the site, considerable savings can be made in construction CO2 emissions when compared with a non-stabilised design.