SORBSEAL is a hybrid Geosynthetic Clay Liner (hGCL) which has been modified with a very specific, high surface area powdered activated carbon.
It works as a barrier to liquids in the same way as a regular GCL, but also helps trap a wide range of other contaminants, including Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS), preventing them from entering the surrounding environment.
When used in composite lining designs, it can remain as an effective barrier for hundreds of years.
The primary difference between SORBSEAL and a standard GCL is the addition of the Activated Carbon. The bentonite is the same and the cover and carrier geotextiles are the same, meaning those designing with standard GCL’s don’t need to change their traditional design methodologies.
The hydraulic performance,mechanical behaviour and internal shear strength properties, all remain within expected standard GCL parameters. It is simply a supercharged GCL with the ability to capture a lot more contaminants than the bentonite alone within standard GCLs.
Features and Benefits
- Safely prevents the release of a wide range of PFAS and other harmful contaminants into the environment by trapping them inside a complex network of pores
- Effective as it retains the performance of a standard GCL as a liquid barrier to stop the spread of contamination for hundreds of years
- Reliable and safe-to-use as it is engineered to meet the EPA’s National Environmental Management Plan (NEMP) guidelines on maximum levels of PFOS, PFOA and PFHxS.
- Ensures maximum performance as it can be customised to suit specific site chemistries
- Multi-purpose use across a range of applications including base liners and capping of contaminated materials
PFAS are a very large group of chemicals which have been in used since the 1950’s in a wide variety of products, including non-stick cookware, carpet treatments and fire-fighting foam. Their unique chemistry allows them to resist water and oil as well as survive extreme temperatures.
Unfortunately, it also allows them to last a very long time in nature and can build up in the soil, plants, animals and humans. There is an increasing amount of evidence which suggests exposure to these chemicals can be harmful to our health, even causing certain types of cancer. Because they are used in a wide range of products thatwe use in our everyday lives, they end up in landfill.
This is where SORBSEAL can help by lining the landfill, ensuring that these harmful chemicals do not find their way into the environment.